Home *** Tutorials *** Library *** Kitchen *** About Me *** Contact Me *** FAQ


Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Table Transformation

Last year, I changed up our kitchen table a bit. When we bought it, it had a light oak finish. I left it alone for a couple of year, but since the table and chairs matched our floors, I painted it a really nice barn red. I liked it and kept it for several years, but decided it was time for a change. After about 3 hours of sanding, I finally got the polyurethane and paint sanded off.  I did a hurried white-wash, but wasn't completely happy with the table top.  I kept the red on the apron and legs, then painted white over them and sanded some areas for a worn look.  We've had some nice days, so I decided it was time to change it up again.  I left the apron and legs alone, and concentrated on the top.  This is what it looked like when I began:

After a lot of sanding - this is where an electric palm sander comes in VERY handy - I pulled out my little metal stamps and my trusty hammer to hammer in 4 different quotes that I love.  I then stained it with some stain that I had on hand.  It was "Early American" Semi-Gloss, and is the same stain I used on my ladder.  Due to the weather and the other millions of things I've had on my to-do list, I've only managed 1 coat of poly so far, which is why the table is pulled apart in the picture below.  I still need to do at least 2 more coats.


As for the quotes, I had considered going back over the letters with a black Sharpie, but changed my mind.  I found that the stain made the words show up just fine.


Since I already had everything on hand, this project cost me nothing!

I found my stamps here.  They are now on sale for $6.99 until March 31st.  The quotes I used are:
"Be the change you want to see in the world"
"A Day without laughter is a day wasted"
"With God all things are possible"
"The road that is built with hope is more pleasant than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination"

I'm linking up here:
Terrific Under Ten with AtHomeWithK
Too Cute Tuesday with Funky Polkadot Giraffe
You're So Very Creative with Me Making Do
Time to Shine with A Diamond in the Stuff
Nifty Thrifty Tuesdays with Coastal Charm
Take A Look Tuesday with Sugar Bee Crafts
Metamorphosis Monday with Between Naps on the Porch
Project Parade with The DIY Show Off

Be sure to check out the Daily DIY over at One Pretty Thing today - I'm featured!



5 comments:

  1. That's a lot of sanding, but it's looking good! Love the quote idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always inspired seeing wood redone. It looks great! I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That turned out so beautiful and I love the quotes! That is alot of sanding! That is my least favorite part, I usually sneeze for about a day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hiya , great project ,can you tell me where you got your metal stamps witht he quotes x tfs
    xmaggiex

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of stamping your favorite quotes on the table top! I can't wait to see it all pulled together! Thanks so much for linking up to Terrific Under Ten today!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts with Thumbnails