Home *** Tutorials *** Library *** Kitchen *** About Me *** Contact Me *** FAQ


Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Kool-Aid and History

Along with being voted by Yahoo as America's Greenest City, my hometown is the birthplace of Kool-Aid, and 11 years ago they started Kool-Aid Days to celebrate Edwin Perkins' delicious discovery. We have been wanting to go, but it always falls on the same weekend we celebrate my parents' anniversary (August 10), and we would be in Kansas. Since mom and dad moved back here last year, we've been able to go to the parade and the Largest Kool-Aid stand. It was really wet and rainy, so we didn't stick around too long. There was supposed to be a fly-over by the Air Force, but it was way too cloudy. We could hear them circling, but never got to see them. We missed the cardboard boat races, but definitely plan on going next year. I hear it's a lot of fun to watch!

My mom, the boys (with their "Indiana Jones" bags for candy), and my nieces waiting for the parade to start. My SIL Amber is in the background.

This is my adorable nephew Brod-a-licious showing off his new teeth!

You can't have a Kool-Aid Days parade without the Kool-Aid man!

The Largest Kool-Aid stand.

**************************************************
Were any of you watching the Olympics last night? I usually don't watch, but I thought I'd turn in on to see what all this buzz about Michael Phelps is about. This guy is amazing! Last night I watched him break a couple of World Records and earn his 11th career gold medal. What impressed me the most was his Butterfly. That is one stroke I have NEVER been able to do (I about gave my high school swim coach a heart attack trying to get me to learn it), so I have a certain respect for anybody who is coordinated enough to do it. But, MP did it, earned a gold, and broke a world record with his eyes closed! His goggles filled up when he dove it, and that is probably one of the most annoying and distracting things that can happen to a swimmer during a race. He just makes it all look so easy and effortless, and is just an amazing athlete.

**************************************************
Tonight my mom and I are taking the boys to the Prairie Loft Center for their Mammology class tonight - should be fun! We just have to make it through our last minute school supply shopping first. Taylor just needs new PE shoes, a couple notebooks and a couple boxes of Kleenex. Shouldn't be too stressful, right?

2 comments:

  1. Happy belated anniversary to your parents! My parents ann. is the 20th. :) Thanks for sharing pics of Kool-Aid days. I've been watching highlights on the Hastings news. Looked like fun. I think the boys would like it next year, maybe.

    I've been enjoying Michael Phelps and the rest of the swimming team and gymnastics! I stay up late and craft anyways, so it's been fun watching them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My folks anniversary is August 8th - Happy Belated Annivesary to your folks.

    I watched Michael too and it was on pretty late here on the east coast - I agree - he makes it look effortless!

    Wanted to let you know your goodie will be in the mail tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts with Thumbnails