Home *** Tutorials *** Library *** Kitchen *** About Me *** Contact Me *** FAQ


Monday, March 30, 2009

Vintage vs. Retro

Saturday I was given the opportunity to go shopping by myself - something that rarely happens. I wasn't doing any pleasure shopping, just going to Wal-Mart for dog food and groceries, so I wasn't quite sure how enjoyable this trip would be. Wal-Mart on a Saturday? Usually something I try to avoid. Surprisingly, it only took me an hour to weave in, out, and around all the aisles and people, so I was in a pretty good mood. Even the long lines at the few registers open didn't make me grumpy...at first.

As I'm standing in line behind 2 people with massive purchases, these two college girls get in line behind me and my overflowing cart. I usually dread these situations because they almost always lead to me wanting to shove and entire case of Q-tips in my ears so I can't hear the "valley girl" whining that I usually hear. But, these girls were normal. They were chit-chatting about tests and classes, and seemed to be fully aware that they did not know everything. I breathed a sigh of relief.

Then it happened. This is what I hear:

Girl A: So did you and your mom get her closets all organized?
Girl B: Yeah, and you'll never believe what I found! A great pair of vintage jeans and a sweater! Mom said they were from the 80's. I'm going to wear them when we go out tonight.

Did you catch that? Vintage. From the 80's!

I think it's time someone does a PSA explaining the difference between Vintage and Retro. Although vintage is supposed to be anything over 40 years old, I still consider anything pre-1950's to be vintage, and anything from the 1950's & 1960's to be retro. For the most part, the 1970's through the early 90's were painful mistakes, with very few exceptions, not retro.

What do you think?

Here's my brother and I in 1982 or '83 modeling the sombreros our grandparents brought back from their trip to Mexico. Notice my totally rad overalls with the way cool rainbow stitching.

I truly hope the 80's never make a comeback...

3 comments:

  1. May I remain happily in that place of denial where I never have to admit that what I once wore and thought was cool is now admired for it's historical and nostalgic fashion value? Yikes! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I loved the 80's. I was an adult with kids about you and your brother's ages - it really wasn't so bad! There'll come a time when you'll look back on it with fondness! Thanks for dropping by my blog! PAM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, there should be some kind of standards written up. I mean, it's well known that an antique is something 100 years or more. I've seen too many items on eBay written up as vintage when they're from the 90's! My goodness!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts with Thumbnails