Home *** Tutorials *** Library *** Kitchen *** About Me *** Contact Me *** FAQ


Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Board and Batten Coat Hooks

My husband informed me that he wants a coat rack by the front door.  A free standing coat rack.  I nearly laughed in his face.

A free standing coat rack?  In our house?  He clearly forgot who he's living with.  It would be used not only for hanging our coats and hats, but also as a toy, a weapon, and it'd be the perfect sized chew toy for Bernie (our St. Bernard, whose real name is Odin).  I imagine that a few windows would be taken out, and our interior walls would have a few windows put in.

Before he could go pick out something horrendous, I got busy and made this:


First, I marked off the area where I wanted the B&B, and painted the wall in that area.

The wood was VERY hard, so I pre-drilled the holes.  Since I was using finishing nails to attach the 1/2 x 2s, I drilled 3 tiny holes in each board.  On the 1/2 x 4, I laid out the hooks where I wanted them, and marked the screw holes to attach the hooks to the wood.  After drilling those holes, and using the hooks as a guide, I drilled a 3rd hole centered below each set of the hooks' holes.


I measured 4 feet up from the top of the baseboards, centered, and leveled the 1/2 x 4, and screwed it into place.  On each end, I attached the rosettes.  I know I should have used finishing nails on those, but I didn't.  I was worried about being able to see the nails too well, so I used carpet tape!

I then nailed one 1/2 x 2 on each end, just under the rosettes.


With the third, I centered it under where the middle hook was going to go, and put it there.  I screwed in the hooks, and I was done!


Sources, Costs, & Notes:
1/2 x 4 (3 feet long) - Menards, $3
1/2 x 2 (4 feet long) - Menards, $3 each
3-1/2 Rosettes - Menards $3 each
Hooks - Walmart, $2.27 each
Paint Color - Muslin by Color Place (Light Base, Formula: C-2, T-4, L-8)

You could easily make this cheaper.  The wood I used was a higher grade and well sanded wood because they had it in the perfect size that I was looking for when doing this small project.  If I had done a larger area, I would have used either MDF or lower quality 1x4s and 1x2s.  Also, the only rosettes available in the size I needed were in wood.  MDF versions are cheaper.

1 comment:

  1. visiting from Circle of Mom's and admire your sense of DIY style...I need to become more clever like that :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts with Thumbnails