Home *** Tutorials *** Library *** Kitchen *** About Me *** Contact Me *** FAQ


Monday, February 7, 2011

Chore Charts

I have 2 boys. Bug is 10, Awesome is 6. They are both very head-strong and easily distracted, and most days, I feel like I am spending all my time fighting with them about doing their chores, brushing their teeth, etc. What I came up with is a system that I'm hoping will cut down on the fighting and help keep my life the boys' lives a little more organized.

The first step is to make one of these:


This chore chart was sooooooo easy to make.  It's just a $3 frame from Wal-Mart that I primed and spray painted (I used Krylon Nickel Satin finish).  Then, I just printed out a list of each of their chores and popped the list in the frame.  To add a little bit of fun, I used a Harry Potter font for Bug and a Ghostbusters font for Awesome.  They were still kind of blah, so I let the boys each decorate their lists. 

I gave each of the boys a skinny dry-erase marker, and every time they complete a chore, they get to check, X, or color in the box.  Since they're writing on the glass, we just have to wipe them off to be used again!

Every evening at bed time, we'll be going over the lists, and for every box filled in, they receive 1 token which can be redeemed later for cash, extra snacks, or other items.

My favorite things about this project:
~ Easy and cheap to make
~ Easy to personalize for each child and make changes as needed

Another note about the lists - Bug's list has 18 items on it, but they are not all chores.  I also included several things, like brushing his teeth and taking a shower, going to bed on time and getting up on time - things that they need to be doing, but we are constantly fighting with them about.

Tomorrow, I will be talking about the tokens mentioned above and our Token Store.

**Edited to add: Info about Token/Reward System here.  More detailed info about Token Store here.

4 comments:

  1. I always wanted to do something like this for my oldest. I am constantly reminding him to do his every day tasks. I can't wait to see your token system! Then I might just have to give this project a shot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have tried so many different things, and nothing has worked so far. This time around, we got the boys involved in the process, so they're actually excited about it. We'll see how long that lasts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup, I think I might have to try this! What a wonderful idea Heather!! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts with Thumbnails