Thursday, April 21, 2011

Going to my happy place

I try to keep things upbeat here on my lil ole blog, but sometimes, I need to use it for therapy. This is one of those times. The last few weeks have been tough, knowing that my grandpa was going to be leaving us soon, but not knowing when, and dealing with all the emotions that come along with that kind of situation.

But, this week been hell. Grandpa passed away yesterday afternoon. His passing really was a blessing, but I have also experienced some conflicting emotions, and there is at least one family member who is causing a lot of unneeded and undeserved stress.

Tuesday morning, my sis-in-law #3 had her baby. We FINALLY have another little girl on my husband's side of the family. Out of 8 grandchildren, there are now only 2 girls - one who is only days old, and one who is 15!

We got a phone call at 5:30 Tuesday morning, telling us that blonde little Baby E was born just before 4am, and my FIL, MIL, and SIL#1 were headed to Lincoln because there are problems. Where to start...

MAS -She pooed before being born, and she inhaled some.  It went into her lungs, and they are now filling with fluid.  They found out on Tuesday evening that she had an infection, and that's what caused the meconium aspiration.  She was on antibiotics, a feeding tube, and 100% oxygen.  She's now down to 27% oxygen (the lower the percentage, the better she is).  Her lungs were filling with fluid trying to get rid of the meconium, and they say she'll be in the NICU for another 10-14 days, at least.

Ear Tag -  She has a little knobbie just outside her ear.  My older brother and Awesome both have them, and my brother's oldest daughter has one.  They usually look like this, and are only sometimes an indication that something could be wrong.  In little E's case, it might mean something, though, especially given her other problems.

Cleft Palate - Her lips are fine, but she has a cleft palate.  The doctors think she may have the bone structure, but not the tissue.

Heart - I'm really not sure what's going on here.  All I know is that they did an echocardiogram, and are waiting to hear from the cardiologist.  Side note - I find ECHOs so riveting.  Bug gets one every couple of years due to his aortic coarctation and bicuspid aortic valve, and it is so fascinating to watch.

Due to all these issues, and the fact that SIL#3's hubby had a seizure before he was even born, the doctors have asked a geneticist check out baby E.

Needless to say, it has been a very stressful week.  Tomorrow is Grandpa's funeral, we're having our Easter celebration on Saturday, and are hoping to head to Lincoln on Sunday for a few hours.  Every few hours, I just have to stop what I'm doing, close my eyes, and imagine myself and my family a month or so from now, when the grief doesn't hurt so much, and (with any luck) Baby E is home with her parents and brothers.  Going to my happy place helps keep me sane, and allows me to see happier times on the horizon.

Please keep my new niece in your prayers.  She's been recovering well in the last 24 hours, but with all the problems, we know she's still a long way from the finish line.


  1. Wow! What a very tough time... Prayers for you and your family from Jenny's Blessed Nest.

  2. I am so sorry to hear all this. My son had to have an eco... (however yous spell it) and he is skin tags on each of his pinkies and a herniated belly button. All that to say he is almost 1 and doing great. I don't know if that helps at all, but hang in there!

  3. Thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Take care. Thanks so much for the update.


Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts with Thumbnails