Home *** Tutorials *** Library *** Kitchen *** About Me *** Contact Me *** FAQ


Thursday, January 8, 2009

1000 Paper Cranes

Perhaps I should start calling 2009 the "Year of Projects" since I keep finding more and more that I want to do (maybe I should stop surfing the internet or checking out new-to-me blogs)!


A couple of months ago, the boys and I read "Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes". After reading it, we decided that we wanted to make our own 1000 cranes. I even bought a package of origami paper (that is currently MIA), but we never really got started. Yesterday, I came across some blogs of people who were talking about making 1000 cranes and posting the pictures to their blogs. One promised to make 3 cranes a day and post them, another was asking people to help her make cranes using recycled materials and send them to her (there were some made from wrapping paper, magazines, there was even one made from a paper towel).

At first, I thought it would be a fun thing to do, but do I really need another project? Probably not. So, I tossed that idea right out of my head. Later on in the day, I happened to look at the calendar and for some reason, it hit me that Gramps always hung his flag out on January 7th - the anniversary of when he joined the Navy (1942). Since I'm a curious person, and love to research history, I decided to skip the laundry (see why I had to make resolution #9?!) and see what else happened on that day. Would you believe that yesterday also would have been Sadako Sasaki's 66th birthday.
It was decided. I am going to do the 1000 Paper Cranes Project - with a twist to try to get other people involved. All you need is a piece of paper, a camera, and a few minutes of your time, so if you want to help, just go here or click the picture on my sidebar! Thanks!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts with Thumbnails