Home *** Tutorials *** Library *** Kitchen *** About Me *** Contact Me *** FAQ


Monday, April 6, 2009

Harry, Anne, and Edward

What do Harry Potter, Anne Shirley, and Edward Cullen have in common? I'm fascinated by them all!

Saturday morning, I still had about 4 chapters left to read in "Rainbow Valley" (the 7th in the Anne of Green Gables series) when I went to town. I picked up "Rilla of Ingleside" - the last AoGG book, and while I was at Wal-Mart, I caved into the Twilight hysteria that I insisted I would NOT get sucked into. So, here's my take on a couple of my favorite series and one that shows a lot of promise.

Anne of Green Gables
I know I've mentioned before how much I love the Anne movies. It wasn't until recently that I realized there was a 3rd movie that was done in 2000. Last year, in honor of Anne's 100th birthday, I decided that I would see all her movies and read all her books.



I've loved the first two movies since they first appeared on PBS years ago, and watch them every time they're on TV. I'm also always checking out all 3 movies from the library - I really should just buy them!

The books were pretty good, although there were a couple that I forced my way through, and I think there were paragraphs/pages in the first 7 that I skipped altogether. The 8th book was one I could not put down. We got home from town around 10:30-ish Saturday morning, and by 6:00 last night, I had not only finished the last few chapters of #7, but I had also read all of #8. It is one of the very few books that actually made me cry. It's quite possibly my favorite of the series!

As for the movies, the first two follow the first several books pretty well. Some things were left out, a few names and places were changed, and events were combined, but I still love these movies. I also fell in love with the 3rd. But, as I was reading the last few books, I realized that the 3rd movie was almost completely different from the books! I'm not sure what kind of hold Anne has on me, but this didn't bother me a bit. Love the movies, love the books. I would love to see the 4th movie that came out this past December, too. It was shown on Canadian TV, but not here, so I'm keeping my eyes and ears open!

Side note - Does anybody watch "Brothers and Sisters"? I can not tell you how excited I was a couple of weeks ago when Nora was meeting with the lady who would be running Nora's charity. It was Anne!



Harry Potter
I started reading these because of Taylor. He's a big fan, but I was a little concerned about the content of the movies after the 4th one. J.K. Rowling was writing for older audiences, so I felt that I needed to find out what happens before deciding whether or not Taylor would be okay seeing the movies.



I wasn't sure that I would like these books, after all, they were written for audiences aged 11-17. I became hooked with the very first one. However, I am glad that I saw the first 4 movies before reading any of the books. As with any other movie based on a book, there are parts left out, but I still really enjoy both. The only thing I don't like is that while reading, it's like watching a movie. I can see everything in my mind. Then, when I watch the movies again, I'm slightly disappointed because I could have sworn that some scenes were missing!

Twilight
I told myself there was too much hype with this book and movie. I was not going to get sucked in. I had heard mixed reviews about the movie vs. the book, and it really didn't sound like anything that would interest me. Not only that, but Edward isn't Edward. He's Cedric Diggory (from "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire").

Anyway...my 13-year-old niece is a big fan and wanted to read the books after seeing the movie. Her mom decided to read the books and got Jeremy's younger sister interested in them. After listening to Kelly and Jocelyn discussing the books, my other SIL, Brooke decided to buy the first two since she knew she'd be snowed in all weekend. While at Wal-Mart, I saw the books and thought what the hell. I only bought "Twilight" because I really wasn't sure how well I'd like it, and I figured if I hated it, I should be able to find somebody who would want my copy.



I decided to read the first chapter before bed last night. The only reason I stopped at the end of chapter 5 is because Jeremy made me shut the light off! I was completely hooked by the end of the 1st chapter, and I can't wait to read all four books! As soon as I finish "Twilight", I'll be borrowing the movie from my niece because Edward makes me want to be back in high school - but only if I was Bella!

2 comments:

  1. I was EXACTLY the same way with Twilight! I only bought the first book because I didn't think I would like it, but wanted to give it a try. I was hooked after just a chapter! My husband enjoyed watching the movie with me cause he could finally put some faces to the people I had been talking about for so long!

    It really is a fun series. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Confession: I have never read Anne of Green Gables, but I do intend to make sure my daughters at least get a chance...

    I started the HP series the year before book 7 came out--I think I had read each one about three times before the last one came out. And that one I've read three times. Obsessed! I had only seen the first movie before I started reading them, so for the most part, I didn't have those actors' faces stuck in my head as I read the books. I still haven't seen a Dumbledore actor who matches the image I have of him in my head (I think it's Sir John Gielgud that I imagine as Dumbledore.) Anyway, I love, love, love those books!

    And I read Twilight about a month ago--I went ahead and ordered all four, because I knew I'd be reading all of them. I liked it--but it wasn't a Harry Potter-like obsession for me. It was a fun read, but I don't think I'll be re-reading them. I don't know if I'll see the movies. I can leave it alone.

    Now I'm looking for something else to read, though! My cousin told me about a series by Dave Barry and another guy--loosely based on Peter Pan. I've checked one out of the library. I also want to try the Inkheart series.

    And maybe one day I'll get back to reading books actually written for adults, instead of kids. They're just so good!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts with Thumbnails