Home *** Tutorials *** Library *** Kitchen *** About Me *** Contact Me *** FAQ


Thursday, April 23, 2009

Vintage Thingies Thursday - My Red Chair...and...

tea towel and picnic basket and apron!

This is my chair, and has been my chair for as long as I can remember, although it has only lived with my for a few years.



My entire family thought I was insane for insisting on bringing this home with me when we were cleaning out the old farmhouse. They think I'm crazy, but know that when my heart is set on something, there's no changing it. I know I've mentioned before on here about the old Stewart farm south of Chadron, Nebraska. It was originally settled by my great-grandmother's paternal family, the Summers. While my grandma's two older brothers were born on the Husak homestead (great-grandma's maternal family), they moved to the Summers homestead a mile away just a few years after my great-uncle Faye was born. This is where they survived the Depression and WWII, and where my grandma was born. In 1998, Faye was presented with a plaque - the farm had been in the family for 100 consecutive years!

Growing up, we would visit the farm twice a year, and forget about Disneyland. This was the happiest place on earth! There were three things I could always count on and always looked forward to: 1) Faye would have a 1lb bag of M&M's for each of us kids, 2) I would get to help Faye collect eggs from the chicken coop (although I didn't look forward to this much after I was chased out of there by the rooster) and 3) I would get to sit in my chair. I'm not sure how old the chair is, but before it was mine, my older brother, mom, and uncle all used it. Uncle Tom was born in 1951, so I'm guessing it was made in the early to mid 1950's.

It now sits in my kitchen with a vintage tea towel hanging on the back, next to an old picnic basket I found at grandpa's house that now hold my potatoes. I usually have a small plant in a teapot sitting on the chair, too. I love this chair.

The other day, I posted a pic of the apron I made for the Flirty Apron Swap. Yesterday, I recieved mine!



Jennifer did a beautiful job, and this picture doesn't do it justice. My parents came over last night to re-till my garden area, so I had my mom model it quickly. You can see a better pic here, and Jennifer posted more info on how it was put together here. Be sure to check them out so you can see the pin-tucks - one of my favorite features of my new apron!

Also, don't forget to check out more VTT goodness here!

14 comments:

  1. I used to have a step stool that looked like your chair - but it was green. No telling how old it really is, but it's neat you displayed it for us today! Love your apron you received - that was super creative - and the one you made is darling as well!!! So talented!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I total understand how you feel about the stool and the old farm. I have things like that that are so important to me, because of the memories, not the looks or the price,
    Thanks for sharing
    Molly

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am loving that old picnic basket!

    ReplyDelete
  4. if i were you, i'll bring the same thing back to home.. especially the picnic basket and apron! what a treasure! happy VTT

    ReplyDelete
  5. ohhh i love the chair! I would have wanted to keep it too! Great apron!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had a chair like that but mine was yellow :0)
    I'm glad you were able to get it and that you now enjoy it.
    100 years for a home to be in the same family? Wow!
    Nice apron, very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that stool! I have been looking all over for a PInK one. Have a wonderful Thursday...Julie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember my aunt had a stool like that and I loved sitting on it.

    Love the little vintage corner with the stool, the tea towel and the basket...very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your chair and the tea towel drapoed on it..and the apron is just beautiful. I never met an apron I didn't love. :). Happy VTT and have a lovely weekend,

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I love all the neat items you shared today!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My husband has a yellow stool like that one! I know it is old, because he is almost vintage himself. Ha.Ha.

    Love your apron, so pretyy. Have a great VTT. Thanks for posting today, loved your post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey, if you're crazy then so am I 'cause I'd be bringing it home too. My parents' had a couple chairs like that. I remember the foot rest around the legs would hurt if you had just socks on. And your apron from the swap is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I sat on a chair just like that growing up! Oopps... probably just revealed too much info about my age! I just love how you continue the family story through family treasures in your household. The chair, basket and teatowel look so warm and welcoming.

    I'm so happy you enjoy the apron. I thoroughly enjoyed making it for you. If those vintage linens could speak, I wonder where they've been and who stitched them and what their story is. But now, the story will continue with you.

    Cheers!
    Jennifer :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I found a step stool like this last year at a yard sale. I just love it. I know that someone in my family had one just like it. I remember one somewhere.

    Nice job on the apron. You do really good work using vintage tea towels. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts with Thumbnails